This recipe was demonstrated by one of TCCPA parent’s son, chef Gilliard, during our July gathering.
2 Cups Heavy Cream (35% fat, can be substituted with Reduced Fat e.g. Half-and-half, or homo milk)
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
7 Large Egg Yolks
1) 4 Tbsp Orange Liquor, or
2) 2 Earl Grey Tea Bags (steep in simmering boiled heavy cream for 5 mins), or
3) 2 Tbsp GreenTea Powder
2 Tbsp Sugar (white or brown)
Portable Butane Torch, or
use Broiler in oven
1) Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
2) Bring the Cream, Sugar, and Orange Liquor (or other flavours you prefer) to a simmering boil (never a rolling boil, as it will cook the egg yolks) in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 mins.
3) Whisk the Egg Yolks until they are pale yellow. Whisk the warm cream into the egg mixture, a small amount at a time. Add the Vanilla Extract and whisk until mixed in. Pour the custard into six 8-ounce custard dishes.
4) Put the custard dishes in a deep baking dish. Pour in boiling water so that it comes halfway up the sides of the custard dishes. Bake until the custard is firm but still wiggles, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the water bath and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
5) Sprinkle cooled custard top with an even layer of sugar, and use the Butane Torch to caramelize the top, or
6) Preheat the Broiler. Top each custard with an even layer of sugar and broil until the sugar melts and bubbles.